Sunday, November 19, 2017

Forever Autumn - Justin Hayward



A gentle rain falls softly on my weary eyes
As if to hide a lonely tear
My life will be forever autumn
'cause you're not here...

 -----

 Like the sun through the trees
you came to love me.
Like a leaf on a breeze
you blew away...

 -----

 A poignant melody from my childhood. I remember as a young girl, in the weeks before Christmas, being unable to sleep, and sneaking into our small living room to listen to my brother's record on the turntable. The whole house was asleep. Not I. The multicolored glow from the holiday bulbs was the only illumination, and the soundtrack was the "War of the Worlds" by Jeff Wayne on LP.  Transfixed by the lights, and drawn into the drama and horror of H.G. Wells' work of fiction, it was a heart-wrenching turn to hear the beautiful strains and Justin Hayward's voice so full of sorrow and longing in the middle of the action.  Even as a child, I wanted to reach into the story to comfort him and let him know he would see his love again.  Through the years, I've chanced to hear the song every now and again.  It moves me, and stirs my heart like the chilling autumn wind stirs the crisp leaves of November, just before the winter snows dampen them and they are trodden under foot.

 For those who grieve loss, and are longing, this song depicts November so aptly.

 ...forever autumn.

1 comment: