Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Breathe...

There is a bullet round in my pocket.
On a ring.
Scratched.
Tarnished somewhat.
It matters not to most.
It matters all to me.
For it tells an almost unbelievable story.
No, it will not be shared here.
But it has made me lose my breath on three occasions.
Once, when it was presented to me.
The second, when the story was told.
And the third, when I finally understood.

Unable to breathe...

Have you had such a moment? 
That almost indescribable moment when your brain, heart, and spirit caught in awe...? 
No, not with beauty. 
Not with starry-eyed wonder.
But awe at the raw courage of a man.
The horror.
The pain.
The Questioning.
But also the purity of honor, integrity, and duty in a man sworn to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States with his life.  
Sacrifice.
A breath caught in sheer, humble gratitude.
Acknowledgement.

There are choices which are often made in the blink of a eye.
There are some triggers that may never be pulled... again.
There are lives taken.
Lives spared.
And some remain unaware.
Will never know.
How close it came.
The shadow.
Their heart will continue to beat.
They will go home to feel loving arms around their neck.
To hear their child's voice grow from a tiny soprano to a mellow tenor.
They live.
And breathe.

I couldn't. 
Not for moments that felt frozen.

Words.
So feeble at times.
Not able to communicate the depths felt.
They will remain unheard and unexpressed.

There is a bullet round in my pocket.

I breathe.

8 comments:

  1. I stopped by again to read your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What may I is it that remains true?

      Delete
    2. The heart behind my words. My awe... with gratitude and respect.

      Delete
  2. The heart behind your words? The bullet round in your pocket? Is it there still today? Or has it like so many things we toss aside after a while, been put away? Are you still in awe of such a man? I read Breathe quite often as I once wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I accidentally deleted your comment with my clumsy thumbs... But I believe you said that to remain in awe of the man means I respect him. Is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete