Monday, January 11, 2016

Personal Reflections on Communication - My Motivation

       My motivation for studying communication comes from a heart which desires understanding, as well as to be understood. As a child, and the youngest of nine, I was not in a position physically to enforce my opinions, nor was I loud and brazen enough to win a battle of words in volume (both number of words and decibel level). As a voracious reader, I developed a strong vocabulary and wide base of knowledge, which enabled me to develop my oratory skills in school. This skill was utilized beyond speech and debate classes, as my field(s) of employment required giving presentations, meeting sales goals, crafting persuasive proposals, and creating a growing eco-tourism business from the ground up. Knowing the value of effective communication in both my personal and professional life, and wishing my communication to reflect good character, are my main motivations to further my studies of this subject.
       The benefits that come from understanding communication in my personal and professional life are numerous. I believe that developing effective communication skills (far beyond stating my own needs or opinions) has strengthened my relationships, and widened my view and understanding of the world in which I live (socially, culturally, and politically).  There are fewer opportunities for misunderstandings, and many opportunities to learn and grow.  Professionally, developing relationships with my clients and community partners, as well as co-workers, is very important in my line of work as an Outreach Coordinator, if I am to be successful and see our company’s goals met (and to assist our veteran clients reach self-sustainability in their case plan execution).  All of this requires a good understanding of communication.
       The definition of in Table 2.1 in Thinking Through Communication that comes closest to my own personal definition of communication is Definition 7: “Communication is ‘the transmission of information, ideas, emotions, skills, etc., by the use of symbols – words, pictures, figures, graphs, etc.’” (Berelson/Bernard/Steiner, 1964). In my opinion, this definition is the most complete, as it does not specify spoken or non-verbal interaction, and therefore is open to encompass both. It is general enough to include a variety of media as well, without assuming intent. Perhaps this definition appeals to me as it is very broad, and not restricted to being “a uniquely human process” (Trenholm, 2008).  I believe communication, as defined here, however, is not limited only to being “sender oriented.” Transmission is, in my mind, “between” both the sender and the receiver, and thus communication is as well.
  

References

Trenholm, S. (2008). Thinking through communication: An introduction to the study of human communication. (6th). (P. Education, Ed.) Boston.
Berelson, Bernard, & Steiner, Gary. (1964). Human behavior. New York: Harcourt, Brace, & World, 254. (Trenholm 19-20)


No comments:

Post a Comment