Monday, December 7, 2015

Endings are New Beginnings in Disguise

Day one...
A job has ended for me.
On paper it is a job. A neat little answer to the question "Oh, and what do you do?"
I never viewed it as such.
My "job" was one in which I truly felt fulfilled and my needs as an idealist were totally met.
For more than three years I have worked with veterans, on their behalf.
What others have done for a paycheck, I viewed as an honor and a privilege, assisting our at-risk heroes, and those who have not accessed the VA benefits which are their due.
As a Senior student at Ashford University, I diligently applied my Communications studies to my position as an Outreach Coordinator and Case Manager and saw exponential growth among my clients and within the resource community. Unfortunately, the season has shifted and these skills must be utilized elsewhere.

For reasons dealing with non-profit management, issues beyond my control, the job has ended.
My service has not. Not by any means.
While endings often leave one feeling empty and longing, this abrupt closure is allowing me the opportunity to refocus.
Tomorrow I begin a new chapter and new position with a legal firm.
It is a job to me.
It is "what I do."
But it is not "me."

That said, I remain attached to the American Legion Auxiliary and American Legion Riders and will serve in that capacity to the best of my ability.
With honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment