Monday, December 21, 2015

Delivering "Bad" News Tactfully and Effectively

For the purposes of a recent Communication Capstone Assignment, the following scenario was to be evaluated in terms of how I would approach an employee, the response I would anticipate, and which conflict resolution techniques I would use.
          The scenario reads as follows: You are a department manager in a mid-sized company that provides technology support services. You have ten employees who are required to maintain a high level of technical expertise and deliver excellent customer service. One of your employees, who has been with the company for two years, is performing at a substandard level and you have received numerous compalinst from customers and coworkers. In addition this employee has displayed confrontation behavior which has created a hostile environment. You must now meet with this employee and deliver an ultimatium regarding the need for immediate improvement or dismissal.          Given the Assignment scenario, I would do a thorough examination of the client’s file record regarding his past performance, the complaints against him and his recent decline in performance and attitude. I believe a good manager would arm themselves with a solid understanding of the situation, as well as be prepared to offer some potential solutions to the problem. Armed with knowledge, I would anticipate which way the employee may react, and plan accordingly. It would be my hope that, when spoken to in a calm and respectful manner, and given the opportunity to speak freely and participate in a solution, the employee would response positively. It would also be wise to prepare a backup plan in case the meeting does not go favorably.
          As a matter of respect and using tact, I would wait for an opportunity to speak with the employee when they were not with their peers. I would approach the employee in a professional but open manner and ask to speak with them privately in my office. As this employee had been recently displaying confrontation behavior which created a hostile work environment, I would have notified other management of this meeting and have them monitor it in a discreet way in case I needed to call for assistance or backup. The scenario does not say whether or not the employee is a male or female, however, as I am a diminutive female, I might prefer to have a male member of the management team join us for the meeting under the guise of “accountability” to make sure policies and procedures were followed correctly, and I was safe.
          Once settled comfortably in my office, I would speak calmly and congenially, first thanking the employee for meeting with me, and begin by asking how they were doing. Again, as this employee had been recently displaying confrontational behavior, my goal would be to create a comfortable environment in which the employee would feel respected and heard, and not as if he was being attacked or put on the defensive.
          If the employee’s response to this introduction did not open any doors to the reason for our meeting, I would use a technique called “sandwiching” (Seid, 2012) whereby I would first bring up something genuinely positive that I noticed about their performance and say something encouraging to them about their two years of employee service. After this, I would point out that, unfortunately, there were two issues that needed addressing, mainly, the complaints by customers and co-workers about the decline in his performance standard, and that his attitude was creating a hostile work environment.
          This portion of the conversation would be the time to ask the employee if there were any concerns he would like to discuss that may be affecting his performance. I would employ active listening skills, keeping my body language open and non-threatening, and allow the employee to speak his mind. It may be that he had problems in his personal life which were being carried over into his work, and with which he needed assistance. It would be my hope that together we could develop a level of trust, whereby he could work with me to consider some solutions. During this segment of the “sandwich” technique, I would also explain in a respectful but direct way the seriousness of the situation, that he was being given an ultimatum – either improve these two areas immediately or face dismissal.
          Once the ultimatum was delivered, I would allow the employee time to consider the gravity of the situation, and then begin to discuss specific ways he may be able to improve, and a timeline and deadline in which he needed to achieve results. I would listen carefully to any constructive suggestions he had, and attempt to construct the solution together so he would feel a sense of ownership in the positive outcome. If he had some private issues that were affecting his performance, we may be able to discuss ways he could receive necessary personal supports and assistance.
          If the employee reacted negatively to the ultimatum, or became aggressive or confrontational, I would use a soothing technique in attempt to calm them and get the conversation focused back on solutions rather than on defense.
          I would wrap up the meeting by stating the company’s appreciation for his services the last two years, reiterating his value as an employee, and also state that the company would support him in his efforts to overcome any obstacles to improving his work performance. I would ask if he had any final comments to make, to which I would listen and respond respectfully. I would stand, thank him for listening and his willingness to work towards a solution, and then tell him I am looking forward to seeing him again to re-evaluate what improvements have been made by the deadline.


Reference:

Seid, S. (2012, October). The sandwich technique to deliver bad news or complaints. Training and consulting in international business protocol and social etiquette. Advanced Etiquette. Retrieved from: http://www.advancedetiquette.com/2012/10/the-sandwich-technique-to-deliver-bad-news-or-complaints/

No comments:

Post a Comment